Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Yikes! My First Weigh In


Ouch. Well, the good news is that I finally got my new scale. The bad news is that I finally used my new scale. I put in my profile, male, 32 years old, 5'6". Exhaled, and stepped aboard.

Weight: 194.0 lbs.
Body Fat: 30.5%

Oh my! I'm no math major, but that's 59.17 pounds of FAT! I wish there was a muscle mass percentage scale as well. Or maybe I don't.

As I mentioned in the comments of my inaugural post my goal includes both weight loss and adding muscle mass. The way I see it, if I lose body fat by a greater percentage than my weight loss, I have added muscle mass. I'm assuming here that my bones, liver, brain do not fluctuate in weight. So, if I reduce my body fat percentage to 25% with no weight change that would mean I have lost 10.67 pounds of fat. Unless my brain got heavier, I would assume that meant a gain of 10.67 pounds of muscle.

Now, my plan is not to become a muscly, ripped 194 pound tree stump. I would like to lose some weight, as well as putting on muscle mass. Here are the goals:

Weight: 155 lbs.
Body Fat: 15%

If my math is correct, my body fat would be reduced to 23.25 pounds, for a loss of 33.92 pounds of fat. My total weight loss would be 39 pounds. So, I am going to assume that this means adding five pounds of muscle. It's not as much as I thought before I ran the numbers, but I'm pretty sure I would be happy at these levels.

No comments: